The aftermath of a mesothelioma diagnosis can be a very stressful and overwhelming time for mesothelioma patients and their families. One of the many important decisions to make during this period is where to receive mesothelioma treatment. There are several key factors to keep in mind when deciding on a cancer treatment center. With the help of your doctor and trusted family members, choosing a mesothelioma treatment center can allow you to exercise a certain degree of control over the course of your mesothelioma treatment. Above all, it is important to remember that the goal of choosing a mesothelioma cancer treatment center is to to find a facility that you feel comfortable with and a dedicated medical that team you trust.
When choosing a mesothelioma cancer treatment center, first the mesothelioma patient must decide if he or she wants to be treated at a cancer facility that specializes in treating mesothelioma cancer, or one that treats patients with a number of different kinds of cancer. Next, the mesothelioma patient must decide whether to choose a mesothelioma hospital that offers traditional types of treatment (such as chemotherapy, surgery, and radiation) or non-traditional types of mesothelioma treatment (such as clinical trials that test new drugs). Once you have established the criteria you are looking for in a mesothelioma treatment center, come up with a list of cancer hospitals that fit your needs by asking your doctor, family members, friends, and cancer organizations for suggestions.
After you have developed a list of potential mesothelioma hospitals that fit your criteria, you must evaluate each one in order to determine which one is the best choice for you. Learning the answers to the following questions can help you decide which mesothelioma cancer center will best serve your needs.
- Has the mesothelioma cancer center been recognized by one or more respected organizations such as the National Cancer Institute, American College of Surgeons, or Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations?
- Is the medical staff at the cancer center familiar with the treatment of mesothelioma?
- Does the mesothelioma hospital offer a variety of mesothelioma treatment options?
- If the mesothelioma cancer treatment center is not located near your home, is the medical staff there willing and able to coordinate your care with your local doctors?
- Is medical care at the mesothelioma cancer hospital covered under your insurance plan?
Visiting the mesothelioma treatment center and talking to current patients (if possible) are additional steps you can take to ensure that you feel confident that you are choosing the right facility. Your primary care physician, any mesothelioma doctors or cancer specialists you have seen, and your family members can also provide support and guidance as you make this important decision. Remember, you have the right to choose where you are treated. Make sure you are comfortable with the facility, mesothelioma doctors, and mesothelioma treatment regimen you will be receiving at the cancer center you choose.