R.ARTICLE 0.1 — The person who represents your interest in a mesothelioma case has to be chosen very carefully. The success of your case depends as much on your attorney as it does on the facts presented in the case. Your mesothelioma lawyer should have a good amount of knowledge of laws regarding mesothelioma and at least a working understanding of the disease itself.
A lot of paperwork is required to prove a case of negligence by the company that processed the asbestos which causes mesothelioma so your lawyer has to be able to gather, organize and present all the necessary information well. You also want someone who understands what you are dealing with emotionally, psychologically and physically so that your case is as important to them as it is to you.
When you choose a lawyer or law firm to represent your case you should be comfortable with all members of the staff who are involved with the case. You should view them as being competent and experienced enough to handle your case. If that is not true, you should rethink your decision to file your case with the firm and contact other law firms to find one you are happy with.
You should ask questions of the lawyers until you are completely satisfied that they are the best team to handle your case.
Here is a list of questions you should ask the attorney(s) interested in handling your mesothelioma lawsuit:
- Does your law firm handle mesothelioma cases or will I be referred to another law firm? If so, what is the name of the law firm that handles my type of case?
- How long have you been involved in handling mesothelioma lawsuits and do you handle other types of medical law? What about toxic substance cases?
- How man mesothelioma cases are currently being handled by the law firm?
- (In the case of an individual attorney) How many mesothelioma lawsuits have you personally handled and what is your success rate in and out of court?
- How many mesothelioma cases has your firm taken to trial and what is the success rate of your trial cases? Are there lawyers on staff who handle the trial cases?
- In settlement cases, who handles the legal proceedings and what is the firm’s success rate with settlements? What is the range of settlement amount and is medical care typically included?